Manitoba 'can't sustain this,' top doctor says as 10 more deaths, 392 new cases of COVID-19 announced

Share:

Manitoba's top doctor is reprimanding people who continue to go out and chastising businesses looking for ways around public health orders as the province announces 10 more deaths and 392 cases on Monday.

"Our health-care providers are becoming overwhelmed," Chief Provincial Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin said, announcing record-high hospitalization numbers. 

"We can't sustain this number of cases in our health-care system."

Manitoba has had triple-digit daily case numbers for a month and cumulative cases are nearly nine times higher today than they were at the beginning of September as the province continues to see some of the worst rates in the country.

Evidence of crowded big box store parking lots over the weekend, and a protest against restrictions in hard-hit Steinbach, prompted vows from Roussin and the premier Monday to increase enforcement.

Manitoba hit a record-high 13 per cent five-day test positivity rate on Monday, while Winnipeg's rate hit 12.8 per cent.

There have been 172 COVID-19 deaths reported in Manitoba to date, and nearly 90 per cent of those have happened since the beginning of last month.

Three of 10 deaths announced Monday — a man in his 80s, a woman in her 80s and a woman in her 90s — are linked to an outbreak at Maples Long Term Care Home, where more than 30 people have died.